My friend Elias and I have been picking yearly themes on our podcast since 2018. This year, I started following The Theme System, including using the Theme System Journal. This is how I’m filling it out. For reference/posterity.
2020: The Year of Regeneration
Allowing the things that need to to die and finding new life
- A renewed closeness to God fed by spiritual disciplines
- A better work-rest balance in which I work well and rest well
- A clear contribution to the regeneration of the church
- A healthier financial situation and relationship to spending
The journal and a pen sit next to my bed; I use these prompts to reflect on the day before turning out the lights.
I write something for each of these most nights (so far, weeknights):
- Word [something God is saying]
- Ahead [something I’m looking forward to]
I score each of these at 0, ½, or 1 point each day:
- Spirit: Did I connect with God today?
- Relationship: Was I a good fiancé today?
- Friendships: Was I a good friend today?
- Work: Did I accomplish something for my job today?
- Rest: Did I rest well today?
- Environment: Did I take care of my home/office today?
- Create: Did I make something today?
- Language: Did I learn/practice language today?